Divorce and Spousal Support/Alimony

Most Frequently Viewed Resources

Read about where to file your lawsuit or case. Information on jurisdiction and venue.

Forms, FAQs, resources.

If you cannot afford the filing fee or other court costs, you may qualify to have these fees and costs waived by the court.

Find information about ending a marriage or registered domestic partnership.

The legal way to give formal notice is to have the other side "served" with a copy of the paperwork that you have filed with the court.

The Constitution; Executive and Administrative Laws; County, Appellate, Supreme Court, and Federal Districts; State Legislation; and Legal Guides.

Whatever the reason, you have the right to represent yourself, to be your own lawyer in all cases in California.

The purpose of this Email Hotline is for WomensLaw to provide basic legal information, referrals, and emotional support.

When a couple legally separates or divorces, the court may order 1 spouse or domestic partner to pay the other a certain amount of support money each month. This is called "spousal support" for married couples and "partner support" in domestic partnerships. It is sometimes also called "alimony."

Except in the case of Social Security and Tier I Railroad Retirement benefits, a court order is necessary for someone who has been divorced to get a share of a pension.

ADR is usually less formal, less expensive, and less time-consuming than a trial.

My Spouse/Partner Filed a Response and We Have an Agreement.

This section will give you general guidelines for how to best prepare yourself for court.

Your options if you were asked for a divorce or separation.

Types of property: community, separate, quasi-community, and mixed community.

This link includes videos that provide information about child custody, divorce, and and representation in family court.

Alphabetical Listing of Resources

Getting an earnings assignment (wage garnishment).

Steps for changing Spousal/Partner Financial Support.

You can request a free interpreter to be with you in court.

A court interpreter verbally translates (called “interpreting”) everything the judge and others say from spoken English into your primary language, and everything you say back into spoken English.

This resource has the answers to commonly asked questions about court interpreters, including how to ask for one.

If you are getting divorced and want to change your name to back to your maiden name, you can usually do that in your divorce case.

A step-by-step outline of the process for divorce/separation.

Find out more about the spousal support process.