Most Frequently Viewed Resources

Read about where to file your lawsuit or case. Information on jurisdiction and venue.

If you cannot afford the filing fee or other court costs, you may qualify to have these fees and costs waived by the court.

The Constitution; Executive and Administrative Laws; County, Appellate, Supreme Court, and Federal Districts; State Legislation; and Legal Guides.

Whatever the reason, you have the right to represent yourself, to be your own lawyer in all cases in California.

This section will give you general guidelines for how to best prepare yourself for court.

You can request a free interpreter to be with you in court.

A court interpreter verbally translates (called “interpreting”) everything the judge and others say from spoken English into your primary language, and everything you say back into spoken English.

This resource has the answers to commonly asked questions about court interpreters, including how to ask for one.

Housing counselors throughout the country can provide advice on buying a home, renting, defaults, foreclosures, and credit issues.

VA Regional Loan Centers have technicians available to conduct financial counseling.

Tenants have rights even when a home is foreclosed and changes owners.

Types of foreclosures - judicial versus nonjudicial.

How to protect your home and your equity.

Federal government programs to save your mortgage.

Know your options to leave your home, stay in your home, or get a reverse mortgage.

HBOR only applies to foreclosures on first-liens, or the first mortgages on the home. Homeowners can take banks to court for violating various parts of California"s statutory, nonjudicial foreclosure system.

Alphabetical Listing of Resources

The comprehensive guide to making purchases and dealing with companies.

What options are available? What's going to happen?

The Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) is FHA's reverse mortgage program.

California"s programs help struggling homeowners with mortgages.

Information about fraudulent foreclosure rescue scams and where to find help.

If you are faced with foreclosure, you can work to save your home " or at least limit the financial damage caused by foreclosure.

What to do if a mechanics lien has been recorded on your property.

If you're behind on your payments and want to avoid default or foreclosure.