Spousal/Partner Support

Authored By: California Courts
Read this in:
Spanish / Español

When a couple legally separates or divorces, the court may order 1 spouse or domestic partner to pay the other a certain amount of support money each month. This is called “spousal support” for married couples and “partner support” in domestic partnerships. It is sometimes also called “alimony.”

Last Review and Update: Jun 01, 2017