Legal Services for Children


1254 Market St
3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94102
United States

(415) 863 - 3762
Areas Served
San Francisco County
Alameda County
Marin County
Contra Costa County
San Mateo County
Who We Are
The mission of Legal Services for Children (LSC) is to ensure that all children and youth in San Francisco Bay Area have an opportunity to be raised in a safe environment with equal access to a meaningful education and the services and supports they need to become healthy and productive young adults. LSC pioneered a unique interdisciplinary approach to legal services, employing teams of attorneys and social workers to comprehensively meet the needs of our clients.
This organization is accessible by wheelchair
Medicaid Eligible
Mentally Ill
Person living with HIV/AIDS
Person with Disabilities
Related to person living with HIV/AIDS
Survivor of Domestic Violence
U.S. Citizen or Documented Immigrant
Under 18
Service Types
Full Legal Representation
Brief Advice
Self-Help Materials
Description of Service Types
Legal Services for Children represents people under 18 years of age, and cannot represent or give legal advice to adults. LSC is located in San Francisco and primarily serves youth in San Francisco. Although we are sometimes able to take cases in other Bay Area counties, we cannot represent youth who live outside of the Bay Area. However, any youth is welcome to call our warm line for advice.\n\nServices for Youth:\n\n1. Legal Guardianship \n\nIf you are unable to live with your parents you may want the court to make a relative or another adult your legal guardian. If you are 12 or over, you can ask the Court to appoint a legal guardian for you. LSC may be able to represent you in this process.\n\n2. School Cases\nIf you are facing expulsion from school you have the right to a hearing. You will probably want a lawyer to represent you in that hearing. LSC may be able to represent you or find you a free attorney. You should also call LSC if you are having trouble enrolling in school.\n\n3. Foster Care\nIf you are unable to live with your parents, due to abuse or neglect, and you do not have someone who you want as your legal guardian, you may want to enter foster care. LSC may be able to help you with that process. If you are already in foster care you should already have an attorney. If you are not sure who your attorney is, call your local Juvenile Court or call our warm line for help.\n\n4. Emancipation\nIf you are interested in becoming emancipated, LSC may be able to help you with that process.\n\n5. Immigration\nIf you are undocumented and living apart from your parents LSC may be able to help you apply for legal residency
Organization Type
Legal Aid
Spoken Languages
Spanish / Español
Get out of here
Was this page helpful?