Assisted Living and Residential Care Facilities

Most Frequently Viewed Resources

Read about where to file your lawsuit or case. Information on jurisdiction and venue.

If you cannot afford the filing fee or other court costs, you may qualify to have these fees and costs waived by the court.

Whatever the reason, you have the right to represent yourself, to be your own lawyer in all cases in California.

The Constitution; Executive and Administrative Laws; County, Appellate, Supreme Court, and Federal Districts; State Legislation; and Legal Guides.

ADR is usually less formal, less expensive, and less time-consuming than a trial.

This section will give you general guidelines for how to best prepare yourself for court.

Read about the risks of signing an Arbitration Agreement and how not to waive your constitutional rights.

The protections are designed to minimize transfer trauma, ensure that residents are transferred safely, reduce some of the financial hardships, and provide oversight of the process by the licensing agency, Community Care Licensing.

Does Medi-Cal Pay for Residential Care/Assisted Living?

Assessment, sometimes called appraisal in Residential Care Facilities for the Elderly, is a process to gather information about a person's life, functional abilities and needs in order to develop an individualized plan of care.

Information on California's Standard Admission Agreements and what to know before signing one.

All nursing homes are not alike. There are several types of licensing and certification categories for nursing homes, which are described here.

Alphabetical Listing of Resources

Long-Term Care Ombudsman representatives assist residents in long-term care facilities with issues related to day-to-day care, health, safety, and personal preferences.

Here is listing of advocates and offices that help people in long-term care and their loved ones throughout California.

How do I pay for long term care? Can spouses be paid for my care? What happens in an accident or injury? What legal documents should I know about? More questions answered.

Protections for residents and causes for evictions.

Search by county, city, or name of the facility.

Any person (not just residents or family members) or organization has the right to file a complaint.

You can request a free interpreter to be with you in court.

A court interpreter verbally translates (called “interpreting”) everything the judge and others say from spoken English into your primary language, and everything you say back into spoken English.

This resource has the answers to commonly asked questions about court interpreters, including how to ask for one.

LTC insurance benefits may be part of a life insurance or annuity policy, or contained in a freestanding LTC policy.

Admission Rights, Transfer & Discharge Rights, Facility Closures, and Rights within Facility.

Medi-Cal vs. Medicare and resource limitations.

Questions to ask at a medical appointment. Legal issues affecting caregivers.

A formal agreement is one a way to compensate a family member for providing care if he or she gives up their job or spends significant time providing care.

Can facilities charge a pre"admission fee? Is there a limit on how much facility"s can raise private pay rates? What are the qualifications for staff?

The SSI program has a special RCFE rate known as the Non-Medical Out-of-Home Care Rate (NMOHC) that is higher than the regular SSI rate for persons living independently in homes or apartments.

Reduce the cost of assisted living for eligible veterans and surviving spouses.